Melbourne is one of the best metropolitan cities in the world. As a multi cultural centre, Melbourne offers lots of benefits for people living there. Melbourne has diverse population, great roads, colorful and artistic heritage environment, interesting shopping, and lots more to offer to its citizens.
Expats moving to Melbourne can expect lots of green space, leisure opportunities and busy event calendar. The city has also been names the world?s most livable city by the Economist Group.
Advantages of Living in Melbourne
- A cosmopolitan feel. As noted already, Melbourne is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. There are visitors, expats, and residents from all over the world: Europe, Africa, Asia, US. Everyone can find a restaurant, bar or cuisine from his homeland. For those who want to feel home away from home, Melbourne is an excellent city.
- Shopping. Melbourne is known as the best city in Australia and even more for shopping clothes. There are tons of shopping centers, malls, shops and stores. From low to high prices, everyone can find something that he/she can afford.
- Restaurants and bars. The restaurant and bar scene is one of the bests in the world. The city has more than 300 bars. The city has annual best bar award, and the competition is scary good. Restaurants offering different cuisines are another advantage. Some say Melbourne is the home of the second best souvlaki in the world (Athens, the Greek Capitol is first of course)
- Easy to get around. Everything is marked in the city. There are signs along the way to guide visitors and locals not just to big avenues notable facilities but to smaller and less important spots in the city as well. It is then nearly impossible to get lost in the city.
- Beaches. When it comes to beaches, Melbourne is second to none. The city has several beaches for tourists and locals. The ocean in Melbourne is wave-free, making it great for swimmers. Besides popular beaches for young adults and parties, the city has many family-friendly beaches, where visitors can avoid big crowds.
Disadvantages of Living in Melbourne
- Weather. The weather in Melbourne can switch between all four seasons in just one day. It can go from windy, to sunny, to rainy to cold in a matter of hours.
- Accommodation. Real estate prices in Melbourne are sky high. With so high prices, it is very difficult to find a good accommodation in the city.
- Crowd. The cosmopolitan feel of the city takes a toll on the population in Melbourne. Some places can be vastly overcrowded. This in turn affects the traffic, and people often get stuck in traffic congestion.
- Water restrictions. Melbourne was known to suffer through water shortages. To prevent those, the government has issued several water restriction rules. This has reduced water shortages, but residents must oblige to certain rules considering water usage.
- Public transport is non-existent sometimes. Traveling from one place to another using public transport can be tricky. Additionally, train issues and ticketing problems are very common.