Dubai’s Road Transport Authority (RTA) wants commuters using its railway services to have a pleasant experience. One way to achieve this is to deter malpractice and violation of its by-laws. In doing so, a laundry list of fines have been published to the public not only to deter would-be violators but also to notify unsuspecting passengers that certain acts they think is allowed at the Metro is in fact prohibited.
- Do not attempt to travel using the Metro while carrying alcoholic drinks. Fine: Dh 200
- Sit properly. Placing feet on seats is a violation. Fine: Dh 100
- Do not sell any goods inside Metro premises. Fine: Dh 200
- Do not use someone else’s personalized card. Fine: Dh 200
- Sleepy heads be careful. Waiting areas, shelters or any part of transport environment is a no sleep zone. Fine: Dh 300
- Don’t play or test with emergency / security device, including passing through emergency-only exits. Fine: Dh 2000
Remember, ignorance of the law excuses no one.
Fine: 100 AED
- Causing inconvenience, discomfort or distress to other passengers in any way whatsoever.
- Entering cabins or sitting in seats reserved for certain categories of passenger when not eligible to do so.
- Putting your feet on seats.
- Eating and drinking on trains and other prohibited areas.
- Using lifts or escalators in an improper manner.
- Climbing or jumping on any public transport building or vehicle
- Non compliance with RTA’s instructions for the use of public transport facilities and public transport vehicles as described by the signage.
- Entering into prohibited areas of the public transport environment or public transport vehicles.
- Opening the door or attempting to access or leave any public transport vehicle that is moving.
- Bringing animals onto any public transport vehicle or environment, except guide dogs for blind passengers.
- Carrying or using materials or equipment that can cause disturbance or a safety hazard to other passengers.
- Standing or sitting on any part of the public transport environment and public transport vehicles not designated for passengers.
- Parking in a Metro user’s designated space for more than 24 hours.
Fine 200 AED
- Traveling without a valid ticket for your intended journey.
- Using personalized travel cards belonging to someone else.
- Failing to comply with the instructions of RTA’s inspectors or authorized personnel.
- Using an expired or invalid Nol card.
- Selling a Nol card without permission from RTA.
- Spitting, littering or causing any visible stains to any public transport vehicle or environment.
- Smoking inside any public transport vehicle or environment.
- Carrying weapons, flammable articles or any hazardous materials inside any public transport vehicle or environment.
- Carrying alcoholic drinks inside any public transport vehicle or environment.
- Selling goods, merchandise or promoting anything by way of advertisement inside any public transport vehicle or environment.
- Distracting the driver of any public transport vehicle or commit any action which may cause visual obstruction whilst on a moving public transport vehicle.
Fine: 250 AED
- Parking in a Metro user’s designated space for more than 48 hours.
Fine: 300 AED
- Sleeping in the waiting areas, shelters or any place in a public transport environment.
Fine: 500 AED
- Using a forged Nol card or Nol ticket.
- Damaging, vandalizing or tampering with any devices, equipment on trains or in any part of the public transport environment.
Fine: 2000 AED
- Operating or using any facility or device related to security or safety including emergency exits if not required.