Filipina Hit By Van in Hong Kong Dies Hours Before Husband, Son Arrive From Philippines

The Filipina domestic worker who was hit by a goods vehicle while crossing the road in Hong Kong has died in the hospital, The SUN reported, quoting police and Consular officers.

Geraldine Lupian Betasola, a 36-year-old who hails from Bohol, was certified dead at the Prince of Wales Hospital in Shatin at 4:34 pm on Nov 29, a Police Public Relations Bureau spokesperson said.

She died just hours before her husband Ricardo and 16-year-old son Kyle, were due to arrive in Hong Kong in a last-minute dash to see her. Both husband and son were hoping to catch her alive in the hospital after given assistance from the local government of Inabanga, Bohol.

Geraldine reportedly suffered injuries so severe she was not given much chance to survive.

Hearing about her fragile situation, the local government of Inabanga extended help so her husband and son could travel to Manila and apply for passports and buy plane tickets so they can fly to Hong Kong soonest.

Officers of the Consulate’s assistance to nationals section told The SUN the father and son were fetched at the airport on Thursday night by Geraldine’s employer. A sister of the victim also reportedly arrived from Norway on the same day.

Assistance to Nationals officer at the Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong Junie Cayabyab confirmed reports of Geraldine’s death and said they are assisting her family in preparing documents they need to file claims.

They were planning to file Traffic Accident Victims Assistance System run by the Social Welfare Department, which extends financial help to victims of vehicular accidents in Hong Kong. Her family may also consider filing personal injuries claims against the van driver, and employees compensation for her death which happened while she was at work.

The PPRB spokesperson told The SUN that the van driver, surnamed Kan, was arrested after the accident at No. 4 On Chee Road, Taipo. He was released on police bail after being charged with “dangerous driving causing grievous bodily harm”. The PPRB officer said the charge would be amended after their investigation is completed.

The officer said the woman was crossing the street at 2:44pm on Nov 25 when the speeding van hit her. The impact was reportedly so strong that the victim was hurled several meters away. Friends who worked in the vicinity took her unconscious to Prince of Wales where she remained unconscious until her death.

Betasola had reportedly worked for her employer for six years.



You might also like

Comments are closed.

error: Content is protected !!