1/2 cup white sugar
10 medium sized eggs (yolks only)
1 cans evaporated milk
1/2 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar (for caramel)
4-5 sliced lemon
1/2 cup water or fresh milk
some grated lemon peel or dried tangerine
To Caramelized Syrup :
In a stainless steel pan, dissolve 1 cups of sugar, add 1/2 cup water over medium heat, do not stir, just swirl the pan gently, caramelize in low heat if you don’t want it burnt. Pale brown means sweeter and too dark means bitter. When you have achieved the desired color, pour the syrup in the molder and make sure it will coat all the parts of the pan.
1. In a mixing bowl beat together the 10 egg yolks and blend in condensed milk. Set aside.
2. Mix together 1/2 cup sugar and evaporated milk. Mix with eggyolk and condensed milk mixture and add the vanilla extract and some grated lemon peel. Use a whisk to mix thoroughly but gently to prevent bubbles from forming. Remove any solids by using a strainer.
3. Pour the mixture in the llanera and cover it with an aluminum foil, so that the moisture from the steam won’t come in the pan as it will become watery. Steam in double boiler for 30-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
4. Remove the llanera and let it cool at room temperature. Then refrigerate for several hours before serving.
5. To unmold the leche flan- run a sharp knife around the edge and carefully invert it unto a platter or serving dish, let the caramelized sugar flow over the leche flan. Put sliced lemon around the leche plan.