Filipina Domestic Worker Confirmed Dead in Tai Po Fire; Community Mourns and Mobilises Support

The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong confirmed late Saturday the death of a Filipina domestic worker, identified as Maryan Pascual Esteban, in the massive Tai Po fire that devastated the Wang Fuk Court estate.

“With great sadness, the Philippine Consulate General confirms the passing of an overseas Filipino worker from the Tai Po fire incident,” the announcement read. “Far from her native home, she had made innumerable sacrifices for her family.”

The Consulate extended its deepest condolences to Maryan’s family, friends, and employers.

Maryan’s passing marks the first confirmed fatality among Filipino domestic workers living in the estate where the fire erupted around 2 p.m. on Wednesday. The blaze raged for 48 hours, leaving widespread destruction and a rising human toll.

As of the latest count, the official death toll has reached 128, with nearly 200 individuals still missing. More than 70 people remain in hospital, many with severe injuries.

Status of the Filipino Community

Among Filipino residents, one OFW remains in hospital due to smoke inhalation.
Authorities and community groups are still tracing 12 other Filipinos, while 79 have been verified as safe.

Community, Faith Groups Lead Memorial Services

In response to the tragedy, two masses are being organised by the Filipino community as Hong Kong enters three days of mourning.

At 4 p.m., the Philippine Consulate will hold a Catholic mass at the OFW Global Centre in the United Centre. Earlier in the day, at 11 a.m., a Christian service led by Fr. Dwight dela Torre of the Iglesia Independiente Filipina (Aglipayan Church) will take place on Chater Road. This gathering will replace a planned protest on Philippine corruption originally organised by the FilAction group.

FilAction issued a statement emphasising solidarity:

“In the wake of the devastating fire tragedy in Tai Po, our thoughts are profoundly with the victims and survivors who have endured unimaginable loss and suffering. Those who perished deserve our remembrance; their stories must be told, their lives cherished, and their struggles recognized.”

The cancelled protest was intended as Hong Kong’s counterpart to the “Trillion Peso March” on EDSA in Manila.

Consulate Opens Special Assistance Counter

To support those affected, the Consulate has set up a Special Enquiry Counter at the Tai Po Complex, 8 Heung Sze Hui Street. Assistance will be available on Nov. 29 and 30, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., for OFWs needing help with documentation, tracing family members, or seeking welfare services.

Hong Kong Enters a Period of Mourning

On Saturday morning, flags across all government buildings were flown at half-mast. Chief Executive John Lee, joined by civil servants, observed three minutes of silence for the victims.

The Hong Kong government declared three days of mourning, from Saturday until Monday.
Books of condolences have been opened in all 18 districts, allowing the public to offer written messages of sympathy.

Tribute to Foreign Domestic Workers

Secretary for Labor and Welfare Chris Sun paid special tribute to Filipina and Indonesian domestic workers who remained with their employers as the fire escalated.

“We understand many of them took care of elderly people and children at the Court,” Sun said. “We know many of them stayed inside together with their employers, taking care of them even at the height of the fire.”

He assured the public that the government would offer every necessary form of support:
“You can be rest assured, we will provide all the necessary assistance to all foreign domestic workers and make sure their stay in Hong Kong is safe, and to cater to their needs.”

Government Financial Aid for Affected Families

The Hong Kong Government announced a HK$200,000 condolence donation for the family of each person who perished in the tragedy, including foreign domestic workers.

Earlier, affected households had already received emergency support, including HK$10,000 and HK$50,000 cash handouts, depending on their circumstances.

Pinoy OFW
Pinoy OFWhttp://www.pinoy-ofw.com
A passionate writer delves into the diverse experiences of Filipinos in the United States, covering migration, careers, communities, and everyday life with insightful storytelling.

Read more

Local News