- 3 Pinoys From HK Busted in Indonesia for Drugs
- Aquino Urged to Allow Direct Hiring in HK, Crack Down on Greedy Recruiters
- PHL Consulate HK Advisory: Closed on Apr 4 and Apr 9
- Two Filipinas Charged With Manslaughter in Hong Kong
- ‘No Plans of Going Home,’ Declares Vallejos After Permanent Residence Verdict
- Placement Agencies End Ban on Sending Filipino Helpers to HK
- HK Ruling May Result in Unfair Treatment of Filipina Maids
- HK Top Court Rejects DH Permanent Residence Appeal
- Pinay in Hong Kong in Stable Condition After Contracting Deadly Flesh-eating Disease
- Pinay Seriously Hurt, Husband Killed in Attack by Teenage Son, Pal in HK
9 New Year’s Resolutions for Overseas Filipino Workers
Do you believe in New Year’s resolutions? If no, then you should, because no matter how poor the success rate of fulfilling one’s promises are, resolutions help us start the New Year right.
It’s another year, another phase of your life. New Year’s resolutions help us keep tabs of how we are doing – how we have fared the previous year and how we intend to make things better this time. This is especially true if you are living away from home and working overseas. For overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), here are nine of the most important New Year’s resolutions that you can make:
1. Keep in touch with family back home more often. In this age of digital technology, distance should not longer be a reason not to get in touch with your family back home often. With just a push of a button and a click of the mouse, you can already ask your kids how school is. Do it more often, like you are just right around the corner.
2. Spend wisely. You have a family that depends on you back home. Cut on expenses, especially unnecessary ones. You can use your savings when life becomes difficult.
3. Save. This is closely related to the previous one. Save. Set a certain amount from your monthly pay for savings. Do not touch this savings unless when really necessary.
4. Get involved in charity work for fellow Filipinos. Although you have your loved ones relying on you back home, it doesn’t mean you cannot extend a helping hand to others. Join a group that assists the poor and the needy back home. You have no idea how happier you become by helping others.
5. Follow the laws abroad more carefully. You don’t want to get into trouble with the laws in a foreign land because that would be a nightmare. You have heard of those horror stories your fellow Pinoys went through. Learn their lessons. Be a law-abiding citizen.
6. Keep a healthy lifestyle. Eat well, exercise regularly, have a positive outlook in life. Don’t kill yourself with work and always spend time on wholesome recreation.
7. Spend more time for prayers. As the saying goes, you don’t live by bread alone. You must also take care of the spiritual side of you. You are happier if you have inner peace.
8. Eliminate bad habits which Filipinos are known for. You are familiar with “Filipino Time” and all those other habits that Pinoys are notorious for abroad, right? Eliminate those habits. Show to the world that not all Filipinos are the way they are portrayed.
9. Improve relationships at the workplace. There’s a lot of stress in the office. Some of the stress is part of the job. But much of this can be avoided. In fact, some are of your own making. By keeping a good working relationship in the office, you are eliminating much of this stress.
Simple resolutions, right? Now, let’s see if you can make it halfway into the year. Good luck and Happy New Year!