Today, when a couple decides to have a baby, they tend to mull over more about the financial costs than having a baby itself. For some people, having a baby is a financial burden and so, they postpone pregnancy. That being said, it is very important to have a better know-how about financial outlay dedicated to pregnancy .
It is estimated that 82% of pregnancy cases in the United States are unwanted or unplanned with women between 25 and 29 years old having the highest rate of child birth cases. At this point of time, cost of pregnancy in the USA has dipped to its lowest yet it is still relatively expensive compared to other states.
The following summarizes the average cost of pregnancy tests and delivery packages in the US:
Note: The following costs do not include additional blood works.
· Home pregnancy test kit – $ 8 to $ 20
· Blood pregnancy test – $ 45
· Folic acid supplementation – $ 15 to $20 (good for a month)
· Child birth education – $ 50 to $ 500
· OB/GYN consultation, first trimester – $ 456
· OB/GYN consultation, second trimester – $ 400
· OB/GYN consultation, third trimester – $ 399
· Nursing bras – $ 35
· Body pillows – $ 35 to $ 60
· Uncomplicated delivery – $ 6,200
· Complicated delivery, Cesarean section – $ 15, 500
Following Child Birth
· Post partum check up – $ 500
· Crib – $ 200
· Wipes – $ 10
· Diapers – $ 40
· Car seat – $ 125
· Clothes – free (clothes of previous siblings)
· Food – $ 50 to $ 100
Mothers cannot get away from child-bearing expenses and more. There are just essential and must undertakings that pregnant mothers should take in for a risk-free delivery and healthy baby. Procedures such as prenatal care, newborn screening and folic acid supplementation should not be omitted. Nevertheless, to get rid of the sky-rocketing costs of pregnancy in the USA, the couple might consider availing a health insurance since prenatal visits and diagnostic exams are covered by the policy.
On the other hand, when shopping for baby, consider buying only the basics and the most needed ones. If possible, get away from luxury items especially when in a tight budget. Some of the baby’s basic supplies are crib, diaper, wipes, milk, foods and clothes.