While these may not be the questions consulate or embassy staff may ask you — nor you have the same answers as shown below — having understood these questions and preparing sensible answers could increase your chances of being granted your visit visas to the United States.
Q: What is your purpose of travel to the United States?
- I would like to visit a family in Los Angeles, California and go to Hollywood Disneyland with them.
- I would like to visit my son who is studying at UCLA.
Q: Why do you want to travel to the United States?
- There are plenty of tourist attractions where my relatives live I’d like to pay a visit.
- I have never been to the US and my cousin in Sacramento has been inviting me to come over for his child’s wedding.
Q: Why do you want to visit only at this time?
- My wife and I are in our fifties and would like to travel to the U.S. before we get older so we can enjoy tourist attractions better.
- My daughter’s off from school and weather conditions during my travel will be excellent for road trips.
- I would like to experience Thanksgiving celebration in the United States.
Q: How long will you stay in the U.S.?
- Two to three months, just enough to experience Thanksgiving, winter snow and Christmas.
Q: Why do you want a 6 month/1 year/10 years visa?
- There are plenty of places to see in a large country like the United States and we cannot visit them in a short period of time given our age. Also, my son cannot get extended leave from work. A shorter visa period is also welcome if you feel it is reasonable.
- We would like to experience the different seasons in the United States, as well as celebrate holidays such as Fourth of July fireworks and Christmas.
Q: Where will you stay in the United States?
- (Same as the information provided in visa application) 129 West 81st Street, Apartment 5A, Manhattan NY 10009
- (Same as the information provided in visa application) Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, 2025 Avenue of the Stars Los Angeles, California, 90067
Q: How much do you expect this trip to cost?
- For our 2-week visit, plane fare is US$1,700, accommodation is around US$1,800, food and other expenses US$2,600.
- My son is going to take care of our expenses. (Prepare supporting documents)
Disclaimer: These sample questions and answers are meant only for reference and in no way guarantee success of obtaining visa from the United States embassy.
Photo credit: Bullit Marquez/AP Photos