Many Filipinos both in the Philippines or based overseas dream of going to Canada. Working as a caregiver in Canada is one pathway they can pursue.
Canada is consistently ranked among the most desirable countries to live. While many countries do not allow, or Filipinos find them difficult to relocate their families, Canada, makes this plan of reuniting workers with families more feasible.
One of the different ways to come to Canada is to work as a caregiver. Many of the applicants have overseas experience as domestic helper in Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan and Middle Eastern countries.
Eligibility Requirements as a Caregiver in Canada
Before one can work in Canada as a caregiver, you must meet the following requirements:
- You earned 72 college units.
- At least 11 or more months of experience working as a caregiver/nanny or both.
- Working as a caregiver/caretaker in Taiwan or Hong Kong. It can be in a nursing home or other care facility.
- If you are not a caregiver/nanny, you must still have earned 72 college units and have attended a relevant caregiver course.
- Your passport. If it is about to expire, make time to renew it before your application.
- If your job title is an elder or disabled caregiver, do you have children that you care for in the household.
- You have worked as a nanny or caregiver in the past 3 years
If you met the above requirements, you may be qualified to apply as a caregiver in Canada. While you are working on your existing contract, it is a good time to prepare your documents — official and copies — for submission to the Canadian embassy or consulate in your place of work, or hire an agency to help you.
Documentary Requirements to Submit as a Caregiver in Canada:
- Letter to a Canadian family
- Employer References
- Police Clearance
- NBI Clearance
- School Transcript
- High School Diploma
- College Diploma
- Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate (If you are married)
- PSA Certificate
- Caregiver Certificate (If you have one)
- Employment Certificate
Aim to submit the requirements to the Canadian embassy or consulate before the end of your employment contract.
High Commission of Canada in Singapore
Address: 1 George Street, #11-01, Singapore 049145
Phone: +65 6854 5900
Canadian Trade Office in Taipei (CTOT)
Address: 6F, Hua-Hsin Building, No. 1 SongZhi Road, Xinyi District, Taipei 11047, Taiwan
Tel: +886 (2) 8723-3000
Fax: +886 (2) 8723-3592
email: [email protected]