Canada Immigration has, not long ago, turned the tables by changing the playing field and the way immigrants enter Canada through the Express Entry system.
While the Express Entry system eliminated a number of occupations in the list, the Canadian Government this week, through its Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP), announced that there are 1,000 applications available for those outside of Canada — or those within its borders with legal status — who have work experience in any of 58 occupations.
The mini-system may have taken back immigration procedures to the old days when applicants must have work experience from a list of occupations. But it should be noted that it does not eliminate or substitute the ongoing Express Entry program.
Although taking a cue from the name itself conveys a faster route to permanent residence, other applicants may find themselves in a long queue and prefer to take the provincial nomination route.
In particular, the Canadian province of Saskatchewan is now accepting 1,000 International Skilled Workers who have work experience in one of 58 occupations, mostly aimed at high skilled applicants wishing to immigrate. No job offer is required.
The program is underway with intake to commence immediately.
According to Atty Henry Moyal, a certified and licensed immigration lawyer in Toronto, Ontario, the following are some of the highlights under the newly announced Saskatchewan Skilled Worker Category:
1. The program is for those who wish to immigrate to Canada (Saskatchewan) and settle in Canada as permanent residents.
2. Applicants do not require an offer of employment or job offer.
3. Applicants who are 18-50 years old will be allotted points.
4. A completed post-secondary diploma or university degree is required.
5. Applicants are not required to have a relative living in Saskatchewan. However, those with close relatives will be awarded substantial bonus points.
6. Applicants must have proficiency in the English language.
7. Must have a minimum of one year of work experience in a skilled position in the last 10 years as a minimum threshold to apply.
8. Work experience must be in one of 58 listed occupations.
A sample of the listed occupations are:
- Construction Managers
- Civil Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Computer Programmers
- Construction Estimators
- Engineering Technicians and Technologists
- Drafting Technicians
- Computer Network Technicians
- User Support Technicians
- Marketing Consultants
- Sales Specialists
- Carpentry Supervisors
- Tool and Die Makers
- Sheet Metal Workers
- Industrial Mechanics
- Automobile Repairers and Technicians