4 Filipino Workers Abducted in Libya Oilfield Attack
Four Filipino citizens are among those abducted allegedly by militants linked to the Islamic State (ISIS) group in an attack on an oilfield in Libya last week, a report from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Monday.
DFA spokesperson Charles Jose confirmed in a press conference that the four Filipinos were among foreign citizens abducted on March 6 on the Al-Ghani oilfield in southern Libya.
The attack also left eight guards beheaded.
Apart from the Filipinos, citizens of Austria, Czech Republic, Ghana, and Bangladesh were also reported abducted after the attack.
Jose said the DFA is updating the families of the abducted Filipinos on their situation.
The attack “underscore[s] the escalating threat to the safety and security of Filipino oil workers in Libyan oil fields which have been targeted by armed groups in recent weeks,” Jose told a news conference, adding that no demands had been issued.
The abducted Filipinos are employees of VAOS Oil Services. The DFA also said 52 other Filipino employees have been evacuated from Al-Ghani before the attack took place and 36 of them said they would like to be repatriated back to the Philippines soon.
On February 3, three Filipinos are among seven foreigners abducted at the Al-Mabruk oil field in a separate attack. Their fate, along with the recently-abducted countrymen in Al-Mabruk remains unknown.