What is PDOS?
Overseas Filipino workers, emigrants, and those leaving the country to settle permanently abroad are required to register with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas and Overseas Workers Welfare Administration. Part of its registration requirements is attendance in the Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) to prepare them for settlement overseas.
Country-specific PDOS are conducted for Filipino emigrants to address their adjustment concerns in their destination countries. In these seminars, various topics are discussed, such as travel regulations, immigration procedures, cultural differences, settlement concerns, employment and social security concerns, and rights and obligations of Filipino migrants.
For Temporary Workers
The seminar discusses topics on health and migration, the features of a standard employment contract, airport procedures, what to do upon arrival at the country of employment, offenses that could affect overseas employment, what to do in case of a contract violation by the employer, and travel tips. Since OWWA performs the welfare function of the POEA, the seminar also focuses on the benefits one can get from being an OWWA member and the various credit and social programs offered by OWWA.
What are the Requirements?
- For Temporary Workers
- Passport – original and xerox
- Employment contract – original and xerox
- Endorsement from recruitment agency
- For Emigrants
- Original and photocopy of passport (must be valid about six months before the date of travel)
- Original and photocopy of visa
- One (1) 2×2 or passport-size photograph
- One (1) valid identification card with photograph (eg., SSS ID, GSIS E-card, PRC ID, driver’s license, postal ID, ARC, etc.)
- Photocopy of Immigrant Data Summary for USA-bound emigrant (must not be detached from visa packet)
- Original and photocopy of Confirmation of Permanent Residence for Canada-bound emigrant (must not be torn or signed before departure)
- Original and photocopy of Certificate of Eligibility for Japan-bound emigrant
- Original and photocopy of Nulla Osta (for Italy-bound emigrants)
- Original and photocopy of letter of approval for Work to Residence visa (for New Zealand-bound emigrants)
- Printed copy of Visa Grant Notification Letter (for Australia-bound emigrants)
- Photocopy of employment contract (for immigrant workers)
- Duly completed registration form for Emigrants (click here) or for Immigrant Workers (click here)
- Payment of P400.00 registration fee
- Attendance in the PDOS, guidance counseling or peer counseling session
Where can I inquire for more information?
Commission on Overseas Filipinos
Citigold Center, 1345 Pres. Quirino Avenue corner Osmeña Highway (South Superhighway) Manila, Philippines 1007
Telephone: (+632) 552-4700, Email: [email protected]
OWWA may be contacted at the 2nd Floor, POEA Bldg., EDSA corner Ortigas Ave., Mandaluyong City. Their 24/7 OWWA Operations Center Hotlines are (632)8336992, 5516641, 5511560, or 09178986992. Their email address is:[email protected]. Website is: Overseas Workers Welfare Administration
After attending the PDOS seminar, a Certificate of Attendance is issued. The certificate and the medical exam result (if required) are then presented to secure an Order of Payment form to pay the necessary fees for registration. The processing fee is US$100.00; the OWWA contribution is US$25.00, and the Phil Health premium is PHP900.00. As proof of payment of the above charges, an e-RECEIPT is issued. This will also serve as the TRAVEL EXIT PASS.