- HK Increases Domestic Worker Monthly Wage to HK$4,010
- HK Immigration Implements Measures to Deter Helper Premature Termination
- OFW Guide: Useful Cantonese Phrases
- HK Increases Minimum Allowable Wage, Food Allowance For Foreign Domestic Helpers
- 12 Common Scams Targeting OFWs in Hong Kong
- 300 Pardoned OFWs Still in Jails Abroad
- Romantic Scammer Sweet-talks Lonely Hearts
- Filipino DH Cherry Ann Carranza Gonzales Banned in HK for Killing Her Newborn Baby
- Connecting OFWs with Families and Friends Through Facebook
- DFA Airs Concern on Rising OFW Drug Cases
No More Jobs in Macau for Foreigners with Tourist Visas
MANILA, Philippines—Foreigners with only tourist visas will no longer be allowed to work in Macau, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Friday.
Citing a report of the Philippine Consulate General in Macau, the DFA said the new policy is based on a new labor law, known as the “Law on Imported Labor,” which restricts hiring of migrant workers in Macau.
The Venetian Macau at night time.
Under the new law, jobs in Macau will be available only through direct hiring in the Philippines, or through a legitimate agency in the Philippines connected to a legitimate Macau employment agency.
The DFA warned prospective job applicants to be wary of unscrupulous recruiters who ask them to go on a tour so that they can get a tourist visa upon arrival. “The tourist visa will not be honored by the Macau Labor Department,” it said.
To avoid being victimized, job seekers should first verify the veracity of any possible job offers in the former Portuguese colony with the Philippine Overseas Employment Agency or the Philippine Consulate General there.