- 3 Pinoys From HK Busted in Indonesia for Drugs
- Aquino Urged to Allow Direct Hiring in HK, Crack Down on Greedy Recruiters
- PHL Consulate HK Advisory: Closed on Apr 4 and Apr 9
- Two Filipinas Charged With Manslaughter in Hong Kong
- ‘No Plans of Going Home,’ Declares Vallejos After Permanent Residence Verdict
- Placement Agencies End Ban on Sending Filipino Helpers to HK
- HK Ruling May Result in Unfair Treatment of Filipina Maids
- HK Top Court Rejects DH Permanent Residence Appeal
- Pinay in Hong Kong in Stable Condition After Contracting Deadly Flesh-eating Disease
- Pinay Seriously Hurt, Husband Killed in Attack by Teenage Son, Pal in HK
Pinoy Nurses in London Hit by NHS Budget Cuts
For the past weeks, locals and hospital staff across London have been protesting against the austerity measures of the National Health Service (NHS).
NHS cuts include closing selected A&E wards and acute services, downgrading of hospitals, redundancies and downgrading of salaries. In 2011, more than 30,000 NHS workers lost their jobs.
“We’re fighting this because we believe that there is money to be found to invest in local health service, so we don’t have to suffer from these life threatening cuts,” Carlo Nero, chair of Save Our Hospital Campaign, said.
Because of the cuts, some Pinoy nurses are facing salary downgrade while others are forced to re-apply for their posts.
“Sa unit namin kung sampu kaming band 6, dalawa lang ang kukunin or you will go through interview para ma -retain ninyo ang current position ninyo,” said Bien del Mundo, an NHS nurse.
“Kung mada-down grade ako, ang suweldo ko liliit. Maapektuhan ang family ko back home sa Pilipinas kasi ang ipapadala namin liliit,” said another NHS nurse Lester Najera.
It may seem that the salary downgrade is better than redundancies but they feel the cuts came at the worst possible time.
“So siyempre napakalaking impact yun financially para sa pamilya mo. Paano yun ilang taon ka sa current position mo tapos bababa pa ang suweldo mo. Di na rin kami makaka -cope up sa daily needs namin,” del Mundo said.
Continue reading at ABS-CBN News