- 3 Pinoys From HK Busted in Indonesia for Drugs
- Aquino Urged to Allow Direct Hiring in HK, Crack Down on Greedy Recruiters
- PHL Consulate HK Advisory: Closed on Apr 4 and Apr 9
- Two Filipinas Charged With Manslaughter in Hong Kong
- ‘No Plans of Going Home,’ Declares Vallejos After Permanent Residence Verdict
- Placement Agencies End Ban on Sending Filipino Helpers to HK
- HK Ruling May Result in Unfair Treatment of Filipina Maids
- HK Top Court Rejects DH Permanent Residence Appeal
- Pinay in Hong Kong in Stable Condition After Contracting Deadly Flesh-eating Disease
- Pinay Seriously Hurt, Husband Killed in Attack by Teenage Son, Pal in HK
Filipina in Hong Kong Jailed for Theft of Employer’s Jewels
A Filipina was sentenced to a total of 22 months’ jail at the District Court on Jun. 14 after pleading guilty to stealing 12 rings and five necklaces worth $858,357 from her employer between December last year and February this year.
Citing an old case, the judge said that the prison term for theft involving breach of trust, and an amount ranging between $250,000 and $1 million, is two to three years’ imprisonment.
He refused to accept financial difficulty as mitigation for having committed the offence. He said he saw “no other mitigating features that would reduce the prison sentence”.
However, because of Paltican’s guilty plea, the starting point of two years and nine months was reduced.
Paltican, 33, was arrested on Feb. 28 this year, two days after her male employer, Anthony Chiu, discovered the theft while looking for some jewelry he wanted to wear to a banquet.
Police were called, and they searched Paltican’s room. Among the items found there were three rings, two necklaces and tickets from different pawn shops.
Continue reading at The Sun