- Philippine Azkals Beat Hong Kong 1 – 0 in International Friendly
- Hong Kong OFW Shares OEC Ordeal in Manila
- Pinoys in HK Seeking Jobs in Canada File Complaints Against Pacific Management
- Philippine Flag Day at Site Where First PHL Flag Was Sewn
- 157 HK-based OFWs Pass Teacher Licensure Exams
- Despite Complainant’s Retraction, POEA Cancels License Of Erring Recruiter Deploying HSWs To Hong Kong
- HK Foreign Domestic Workers to Demand $4,500 Wage
- Pinoy Tourists in HK Deny Using Fake Credit Cards
- All Pro Staffing, ABC Manpower Agency Lose License Over Excessive Fees
- Elderly Pinoy Couple in HK Gets Probation for Theft
Appeal Filipina’s Life Sentence in Kuwait, Government Urged
A court in Kuwait has sentenced a Filipino domestic worker to life in prison for killing an Indian coworker last May, a migrants rights group said Monday.
Migrante-Middle East regional coordinator John Leonard Monterona said the Kuwait High Court found the 32-year-old woman from Cotabato City guilty and handed down a life sentence, which is equivalent to 20 years in prison.
“(The Filipino) was charged with murder for stabbing her coworker, a female Indian national, in an incident that happened on May 25, 2011,” Monterona said in a statement.
In court testimony, the Filipino said she and the victim had an argument after the Filipino played Koranic verses on her DVD player.
“The OFW (overseas Filipino worker) confessed that she stabbed her coworker only to defend herself from the latter who attacked her,” said Monterona.
The Kuwait High Court handed down the guilty verdict on December 13, he added.
Monterona said the sentence could be appealed.
Continue reading at Inquirer